Friday, November 23, 2007

Two months in... two years to go

Hey everyone, glad you made it to my blog. Sorry for the wait, it took my a while to get this thing goin. Just to put you all at ease I'm going great. Today was especially fun because we celebrating the Peace Corps 40Th anniversary of being here in The Gambia. We went to this really fancy hotel, listened to speeches for a few hours and then had a somewhat nice reception at the end. The best part of the day though was when we finally made it to the beach.

The Gambia has really nice beaches and there happens to be one very close to headquarters in Kombo which is where we're staying right now. The sun was out and the waves were big. I've never really been big into body surfing but I find it to be tremendously fun. Although is did get thrown around and hit my head and shoulder on the sea floor while trying to surf one very big wave. The beach is fun though, its just really nice to go and forget about language and all the other things on your mind.

I go to my site tomorrow, its just NE of Banjul on the North Bank. I don't know to much about my site since no one has been serving there recently. There were two volunteers that both early terminated or (ET'd) as we call it. They spent a combined time of 4 months at my site so there really has been any projects or programs started. Basically I have a clean slate and have free reign to do whatever projects or programs I feel the village needs. I guess the village is also close the the Senegal border but everyone in this country is close to the Senegalese border.

Well sorry to make this a short one but there are people waiting for the computer now. Hope you all are doing well, I will update the blog soon! Until then...

4 comments:

Mike Sheldon said...

Good to hear from you Tyler. Keep on keeping on.

Tom&Kate said...

TYLER!!! How are things going? I have been thinking about you. I hope the language barrier is not too hard, and the culture shock was not too suprising either. You will be glad to know we are all doing great. Liam graduates this quarter, and Josh is still on the ten year plan. Talk to you later bud!

Kate

smithcry12 said...

T-Dawg! Good to know you're alive and well, I have been thinking about you...I'm making a trip to Mt. Hood this winter, should be good. I'll think of you as I ride the LUNA on her last voyage...getting a new board soon! Take care of yourself and behave!
Best,
Crystal

Unknown said...

Tyler I'm glad to hear you weren't the one with diarrhea in bed.

I read your blog and look forward to hearing about the progress of your future projects. If you need some miracle growth for your gardens just let me know :)

California is treating me well. Living down here is a lot like college we have parties all the time. As you have heard I have had a couple close calls. Notably an engine failure just after takeoff, along with an engine failure at altitude in the Citabria (the aerobatic plane I fly). This Monday I have my MEI check ride, which will allow me to teach in multi-engine airplanes. So I should have around 100 hours of multi and 1000 hours total time within the next couple months.

I ended up going home for almost a week for thanksgiving, so I've been flying a lot since I got back. I brought my snowboard gear back down, and am just waiting for Tahoe get some snow.

If there is anything you want for Christmas or just really need let me know.

Justin